Origin of "Murphy's Law" Pushed Back further, to 1908

Thu Dec 13 04:44:51 UTC 2007

In my post of last week (below) I speculated that the quote in question might originate in the June 1908 issue of _The Magic Circular_ (the house organ of the venerable British magic society, The Magic Circle), and described my (at that time, unsuccessful) attempts to find a copy.  When in doubt, go to the source.

The current editor of _The Magic Circular_ is Matt Field, an email buddy.  I wrote him about the ongoing efforts to locate the origin of Murphy's Law, and he generously went to the Magic Circle's library and sent me a copy of the article in question.  With Matt's help, I'm pleased to report on the original citation of the Murphy-like quote identified by Fred Shapiro.

Nevil Maskelyne, "The Art In Magic" _The Magic Circular_ Jun 1908, p.25.

(I now owe Matt an write up on this line of inquiry for _The Magic Circular_.)

That the quote has been pinned down still leaves several questions unanswered:

1.  Why was the sentiment connected with David Devant, when it was written by Nevil Maskelyne?

2.  Does it exist elsewhere, prior to this, in the writings of either Devant or Maskelyne? (or anyone else?)

3.  Was its reappearance in aerospace circles in the 1950's a case of independent reinvention?  Or did it just get a new name?

4.  How and why did Murphy's name get attached to it?

Bill Mullins