Origin of "Murphy's Law" Pushed Back further, to 1908

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 13 15:22:43 UTC 2007

Hmmmm. "...Edwards Air Force Base origins in *1949* [my emphasis -JL]."

  JL

"Shapiro, Fred" <Fred.Shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Shapiro, Fred"
Subject: Re: Origin of "Murphy's Law" Pushed Back further, to 1908

Yes, I have been meaning to post a message suggesting that Stephen's 1878 citation should not be forgotten. It is only slightly less of a universal maxim than the magic citations, and supports what I have been saying for years: "Murphy's law" is an old proverb in many fields, far more venerable than the supposed Edwards Air Force base origins in 1949. Let's also remember the precursor quotations in The Yale Book of Quotations:

Things which you do not hope happen more frequently than things which you do hope.
Plautus (ca. 200 B.C.)

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft a-gley.
Robert Burns (1786)

What we anticipate seldom occurs; what we least expected generally happens.
Benjamin Disraeli (1837)

I never had a slice of bread,
Particularly large and wide,
That did not fall upon the floor,
And always on the buttered side.
_Huron Reflector_ (1841)

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press
Yale Law School ISBN 0300107986
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu