At last. A home for drinkers!

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Dec 13 17:20:32 UTC 2007

arnold,

Thanks; had no idea it was out there. My favorite more subtle example
was "Otto's Autos" a Calgary used-car lot, which I first thought
sounded a little funny and then realized the sign-maker thought they
were homophones (as did no doubt most of the sign readers). Someone
offered this list an example of "Hawk Shop" from central Indiana a
few years ago (and it was indeed a pawn shop, not a bird store), just
to how that their phonological disability can have spelling
repercussions in either direction.

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
>Subject:      Re: At last. A home for drinkers!
>
>On Dec 13, 2007, at 6:50 AM, Dennis Preston wrote:
>
>>  Some of y'all boys lookin fer a place to lay your weary heads after a
>>  night on the town may want to check out some Oklahoma possibilities.
>>  One realtor writes about a place as follers:
>>
>>  Wonderful, Unique house located in a very sot after neighborhood.
>
>easy to find more:
>
>This title is one of the most sot after championships because of its
>lineage first.
>shootclub.com/SC/S/LeagueMain?leagueId=13&code=charter
>
>Ticket Strategies gives you insider tips on how to obtain tickets to
>that sot after event. Sign up on her site for the feed and newsletter
>and you will find ...
>www.adventscorner.com/2007/10/
>
>Check out this HIGHLY SOT AFTER SALMON CREEK AREA. Are you looking for
>an Aspen colorado home exchange? How about a hawaiian house
>exchange? ...
>www.portland-rentals.biz/The_City_
>of_Portland_and_the_surrounding_areas/45983/
>
>Rare and sot after Two door Tahoe. This LT is fully loaded, including...
>autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/chevrolet-tahoe-cars135314809
>
>to be added to my misspellings file.  pretty clearly an ear spelling
>by people with the cot/caught merger.
>
>not in any of the four on-line corpora of misspellings that i consulted.
>
>arnold

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor
Department of English