At last. A home for drinkers!

Thu Dec 13 18:23:38 UTC 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 9:20 AM, Dennis Preston wrote:

> arnold,
>
> Thanks; had no idea it was out there. My favorite more subtle example
> was "Otto's Autos" a Calgary used-car lot, which I first thought
> sounded a little funny and then realized the sign-maker thought they
> were homophones (as did no doubt most of the sign readers). Someone
> offered this list an example of "Hawk Shop" from central Indiana a
> few years ago (and it was indeed a pawn shop, not a bird store), just
> to how that their phonological disability can have spelling
> repercussions in either direction.

a number of rock-oriented radio stations have used the slogan "more
rock, less talk", clearly designed by and for people with the cot/
caught merger, but often produced by announcers without the merger, so
that it doesn't rhyme.

but my all-time favorite in this line is "George Bernard Shah":

Winston Churchill once received an invitation from George Bernard Shah
to attend the first performance of a play by him.
www.boloji.com/humor/0101.htm

"The man who listens to reason is lost: reason enslaves all whose
minds are not strong enough to master her." —George Bernard Shah ...
books.google.com/books?isbn=0595306098...

George Bernard Shah once described patriotism as the belief that my
country is superior to all other countries, because I am born in it. ...
commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/christoph_bertram/

(some are from indian english speakers.)

arnold