From Slashdot

Matthew Gordon gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU
Thu Dec 13 18:31:53 UTC 2007

Sorry, I wasn't implying that this point of variation wasn't worth
discussing. I was just seeking confirmation of my informal observation that
"is to do" is more common in British English. If so, it is interesting to
see an American using it, and it makes me wonder if this is a bit of
Anglophilic borrowing like an American using "bollocks" or plural verbal
agreement with collective nouns. I gather that's partly why you, Wilson,
mentioned it.