"Does it trick?"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 14 14:54:30 UTC 2007

I'd try a different Starbucks.

  JL

"Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Joel S. Berson"
Subject: "Does it trick?"

Uncertain how to order more coffee in my latte, I asked the cash
register attendee in English, who then spoke the correct Starbuckese
to the barrista. When I received my "triple grande latte", the
barrista said to me "I hope it doesn't trick". Once again, I didn't
speak the language. She explained, that meant "I hope it's what you wanted."

What do the experts say about this use of trick (verb)? That it
arises from "To deceive by a trick; to cheat" seems plausible, but
surely it has moved some distance.

Joel