woot not in mw.com?

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Mon Dec 17 16:50:49 UTC 2007

Dennis,

My apologies for the incomplete explanation of how the Word of the
Year was chosen in 2007.  In the past it's been based solely on the
number of lookups in the Online Dictionary, but this year it was
chosen by website users from a short list of words that were
themselves selected on the basis of lookups in both the Online
Dictionary and the "Open Dictionary," a new website feature that
allows users to submit previously unpublished entry-words with
definitions.  W00t appears in the Open Dictionary but not in the
company-produced Online Dictionary -- hence your inability to find
it.

Joanne