"Give me some sugar" ... alive and well

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Dec 19 13:30:32 UTC 2007

Many "affection" terms are metonymically moveable; even "Give me some love (or loving)" would be susceptible to such various usages.

In recent years (in Georgia) I have heard "Give me some sugar" said only to small children by grandmothers, aunts, and other high-minded adults (mostly female). However, I don't move in circles where the sexual sense might prevalently occur.

--Charlie