Early ADS WOTY nominations posted

Wed Dec 19 23:11:05 UTC 2007

I obviously screwed up in neglecting to put quote marks around compounds in
my Google searches, but Grant's (much better) statistical procedures yield
results similar to mine, it seems to me: TRUTHINESS is about as rare as RECONDITE
and four times less used than AVUNCULAR. Not a very good record for the "Word
of the Year," is it? I don't see much evidence of "popularity" in a word that
is only marginally more widely used than OTIOSE.

I do agree with Grant that, without ADS-L, TRUTHINESS would be even less
significant than it is (though the fact that it was putatively created by a
popular television personality, who made a big to-do about his cleverness and
ownership, was arguably more important than WOTY in bringing the word to the
attention of the pblic at large). The fact that the WOTY festival may have changed
the course of lexicographical history in this very minor way is indeed mildly
interesting.

I also am grateful to Grant and Wayne for the enormous amount of serious work
they put into the process. I just wish that the final selection processs were
not the frivolous carnival that it always is. I do appreciate Grant's point
that what ADS does with WOTY, however silly and unscientific it may often be,
is better than "the loud, peevish heralds of language apocalypse" one hears
elsewhere. I just wish that our results could be less frivolous than theirs.

See AOL's top rated recipes