WOTY festivities

Thu Dec 20 18:56:20 UTC 2007

Scrooge McButters says:

Very good points, Dr. Bowie (and Prof. Preston):

I would love to see spontaneous some examples of uses of "truthiness" that do
not seem to show any self-conscious awareness that the user (student or
otherwise) is performing a lexocographical stunt.

End-of-December cheers to all!

In a message dated 12/20/07 10:50:46 AM, db.list at PMPKN.NET writes:

> From:    Dennis Preston <preston at MSU.EDU>
>
> > I vigorously oppose Ron's anti-frivolity stance. Which of our few
> > sillinesses will he oppose next? Looks like a slippery slope to me.
>
> Well, not to mention, in all seriousness, that WotY != most likely to
> succeed.
>
> It seems to me that there's good reason to have those categories
> separate--if the WotY is supposed to be that word or phrase that best
> captures the state of things in the preceding year, it seems to me that
> it may well end up being something forever tied to that one point in
> time, and so not continue in the language for very long.
>
> p.s. I still occasionally see students who know nothing of the WotY vote
> use "truthiness" in their papers, results from Google's indexing
> notwithstanding.

See AOL's top rated recipes