Chickens for Cheerios

Scot LaFaive scotlafaive at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 22 16:49:36 UTC 2007

After mentioning that he had to take off work for two weeks unpaid, one of
my co-workers (in his 50's) yesterday mentioned that he would be a little
strapped for cash and would be "fighting the chickens for cheerios." I was
extremely amused by this phrase (though I'm not sure many chickens have a
chance to eat cheerios), but after googling it I see no hits. Did this man
or his family cleverly construct on their own or is it wider usage? Anyone
ever heard about fighting chickens for cheerios?

Scot
Wishing everyone a happy Festivus Eve!!