WONY (Word of NEXT Year)? Diavlog Revisited

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sun Dec 23 19:29:25 UTC 2007

Thanks Vladamir - uh, I mean Joel. Yes, I thin we have been through
this 'vlog' business before. I was speculating here on the
possibility that these un-English things are more likely to arise in
a written (first) format.

Of course there is much more at work, as I think we discussed
earlier. "vlog" is a lot more likely than "lvog" (but note that in
the the city name Lvov there are some languages that don't seem to
give a hoot about this hierarchy) since /l/ is more sonorous than /v/.

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
>Subject:      Re: WONY (Word of NEXT Year)? Diavlog Revisited
>
>At 12/23/2007 01:32 PM, you wrote:
>>It's interesting how some of these new blend creations, many
>>web-related, break the phonotactic rules of the language (no
>>vl-onsets in English - please don't write in and tell me about the
>>"English" word Vladivostok and other borrowed stuff).
>
>Wasn't the word that prompted the "vl cluster spotting" chain
>"vlog"?  And no, I will refrain from telling you the various
>Dutch/Afrikaans words either.
>
>Joel

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor