Possibly OT: FW: Mystery of "Atomic Buffalo Turd s" (jalape ños)

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Wed Dec 26 21:58:02 UTC 2007

Since we are on a "possibly OT" string anyway, I decided to put in two cents
re the jalapenos in the buffalo turds not being all that hot. (I am, among
other things, a hellacious cook.) It is because they are "hollowed out".
Heat in peppers comes from the seeds. You take the seeds out of an otherwise
atomic pepper and it becomes not even a fire cracker.
DAD

Barry Popik sent the message below to a select group of ads-lers, and I now
forward to to the entire list.
Is there any other language with scatalogical references in its food
terminology (other than as slang, e.g. in army SOS)?  Or is this perhaps
just a Texas thing?

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: Barry Popik [mailto:bapopik at gmail.com]
Sent: Wed 12/26/2007 4:08 AM
Subject: Mystery of "Atomic Buffalo Turds" (jalapeños)

ATOMIC BUFFALO TURDS--2,360 Google hits
DRAGON TURDS--224 Google hits
WOLF TURDS--112 Google hits
Is this a Texas dish? Does anyone have anything on these "turds"
(jalapeños)?
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/atomic_buffalo_turds_or_abts
_bacon_wrapped_stuffed_jalapenos/
Atomic Buffalo Turds or ABTs (bacon-wrapped stuffed jalapeños)
Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABTs) are hollowed-out jalapeños stuffed with
cream cheese ("Armadillo Eggs") wrapped in bacon, with a smoked
sausage added in the middle. Depite the "atomic" name, they're usually
not that hot. There are no regular "buffalo turds" --they're all
"atomic buffalo turds." They contain no buffalo meat.

Why are they called "atomic buffalo turds"? Probably the name comes
from "atomic buffalo wings," with "turds" substituted because that's
what someone thought they looked like. Variations of this recipe are
called "wolf turds" and "dragon turds." "Atomic buffalo turds"
appeared in print by at least 2002.

Glossary of Barbecue Related Cooking Terms
ABT-See Atomic Buffalo Turd. Yes, we are serious.
Atomic Buffalo Turd-An appetizer that can come in many forms, but
basically is a jalapeno pepper that is hollowed out, stuffed with
cream cheese and a piece of pulled pork, wrapped in bacon and cooked
until the bacon is crispy. They are not nearly as hot as you would
think and have very little "morning after" effect. (No, our glossary
will not define "morning after effect".)

Jason's BBQ Adventures
Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Jalapenos (a.k.a Atomic Buffalo Turds)
These appetizers are sure to spice up just about any party.  They are
very simple to make and you can get very creative with trying
different ingredients in the stuffing. Always make sure you wear food
preparation gloves when dealing with jalapenos. I have tried these a
few times and finally had my first success this past weekend, so I
decided to give them another go around now that I started this blog.
First few times I either received a nice jalapeno burn on my hands
(not wearing gloves) or in my mouth (not removing enough of the seeds
and membranes).

Ingredients:
3 oz. Package Cream Cheese
8 Large Jalapenos
8 Slices Pre-Cooked Bacon
1/2 cup Chipotle Shredded Cheese
1 T Old Bay Seasoning
Preparation Instructions:

Remove tops of jalapenos and slice in half lengthwise and remove all
seeds and membranes (be sure to keep track of the halves that go
together).
In a bowl, mix together the cream cheese and Old Bay Seasoning.
Add the shredded cheese to the cream cheese mixture and mix well.
Spoon the cream cheese mixture into each jalapeno half and put the
halves back together.
Carefully wrap each jalapeno with a slice of bacon to hold the 2
halves together (may use a toothpick to hold the bacon to the
jalapeno).
Place each jalapeno flat on the BBQ cooking grates (or preferably in a
Jalapeno Pepper Cooker) (...)

Richard Craig Johnson: Cooking
Atomic Buffalo Turds
Here's my recipe for Atomic Buffalo Turds, adapted from a recipe found
on the Virtual Weber Bullet website.  I've eliminated the pulled pork,
since they're already very rich.  This makes a good appetizer for
tri-tip sandwiches, but is probably too rich to serve with pork.

12 fresh Jalapenos
8 oz block cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 C finely grated sharp cheddar
1 Tbsp dry onion
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp barbecue rub
1 lb bacon, thin cut

Wearing gloves, cut jalapenos in half, remove stem, seeds, and white
ribs.  Mix cream cheese, grated cheddar, dry spices, rub, and honey.
Fill jalapeno halves with cheese mixture, then wrap each in a slice
(or half slice, if using smaller jalapenos) of bacon.

Light 1/2 chimney of Kingsford and assemble smoker with empty water
pan.  Add 1-2 chunks of fruitwood (apple or cherry) and adjust vents
to achieve 300*F at grate.  Smoke at 300F for 30 minutes, or until
bacon is golden brown.  Serve and eat!

The Survival Gourmet
ABT=Atomic Buffalo Turd
Yes I know it's an awful name but it is a great appetizer.

An ABT is basically a jalapeno that has a cream cheese stuffing and is
wrapped in bacon. There are a thousand ways to prepare them and
probably just as many variations on the stuffing.

The real trick to preparing them is coring them. If you leave the
seeds and veins in, it will be too hot for some people (not me!). They
way I do it is to cut off the stem end and then use a paring knife to
cut the veins away from the sides. The seeds and veins should just
shake out.

Then I use a teaspoon to stuff the jalapenos with the cream cheese filling:

Cream Cheese Filling
8oz. Cream Cheese
4oz. Cheddar Cheese, shredded
4oz. shrimp, cooked, chopped well
1tbsp Basic BBQ Rub

Mix well.

Once the jalapenos are stuffed, take 1/2 of a strip of bacon and drape
it over the top of a jalapeno. Then run a toothpick thru the bacon and
the jalapeno to hold the bacon in place. Repeat with all of the
jalapenos.  (...)

(MORE ON WEBSITE)