Still Further Antedating of "Realpolitik"

Shapiro, Fred Fred.Shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 27 15:49:31 UTC 2007

1872 _Illustrated Review_ Dec. 346 (Periodicals Archive Online)  LET me at once return to Frantz's work, "The Religion of National Liberalism," noticed in my last.  Speaking of the mission of Christianity to promote "peace on earth," the author asks, "Whither shall we drift if, instead of the Gospel, a so-called matter-of-fact policy (Realpolitik) is to gain ground, which, from the outset, divesting itself of all ideal demands, expressly aims at nothing but the power and the greatness of the nation, and attempts to confine our minds within the narrow sphere of supposed national interests?

Fred Shapiro