Another initial "vl"

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Dec 28 12:02:00 UTC 2007

I think "vktbe" is  bisyllabic (vkt-be) with a /v/ nucleus; if so,
"vktb" does not qualify as a cluster. I'll check my Georgian
phonotactics.

This assumes that by "clusters" we mean groups of sounds in an onset
or coda, not bunches of consonants that cross syllable boundaries.

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       James Harbeck <jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA>
>Subject:      Re: Another initial "vl"
>
>>I think I'll start a Polish restaurant and call it "Fog" (in Polish
>>of course) just so y'all can say that you've spotted a /mgw/ onset
>>cluster in English.
>
>Why go halfway? Specialize in Georgian cuisine. "Tbilisi" is tame for
>Georgian; "tskhendze" is just par for the course; I remember a
>Georgian lullaby that included the word "vktbe" (that wouldn't put me
>to sleep!). Call your restaurant _that_! (And yet somehow I have a
>feeling Anglophones wouldn't realize it with the hoped-for [vktb]
>cluster...)
>
>James Harbeck.

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor