Sambo as a slave name -- etymology?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Dec 28 21:38:31 UTC 2007

I did have time to look at Caterall and Donnan today, and came across
something (in Donnan) I thought interesting -- that is, until I went
to Google Books and found my supposition already in several
dictionaries of English.

"The second voyage of John Hawkins, 1564-1565"; apparently published
in Hakluyt, _Principal Navigations_, and Markham, _The Hawkins'
Voyages_, discusses an African tribe called the "Samboses".  This is
noted in _The Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology_,  ed. Charles
Talbut Onions; Farmer and Henley's _Slang and its Analogues_; _A
Concise Etymological Dictionary of Modern English_, by Ernest
Weekley; and Partridge's _Name Into Word: Proper Names that Have
Become Common Property_.

In his 1927 book  _Slave ships and slaving_ (not 2002, as Google
claims), George Francis Dow wrote "and three years before they had
been conquered by the Samboses (the modern Sambos), a tribe that
lived beyond Sierra Leone. ..." [Limited preview].

The OED (1989 entry) has for the etymology of "sambo' "[a. Sp.
_zambo_ ...applied ... to persons of various degrees of mixed Negro
and Indian or European blood ...; perh. identical with _zambo
bandy-legged ... .]"  It suggests for sense 2 = "A nickname for a
Negro", the etymology "[Perh. a different word; it has been suggested
that it may be the Foulah _sambo_ uncle.]"

So, should the OED give some credence to a different derivation of
"Sambo" -- from the Samboses?  "Samboses" as the plural changing into
"Sambos" (see Dow), thus "Sambo" taken for the singular, and given as
a name to a slave who said he was of the Sambos tribe?

As for the alleged Sambo in a Maryland record of 1692, no luck.

1)  Donnan contains "documents", generally books, chapters,
pamphlets, British or colonial government documents.  In addition,
the documents are undated in the table of contents.  I skimmed the
TofC of both vol I (early documents) and vol. III (Maryland), but
didn't notice anything that might be termed a "Maryland record of 1692."

2)  Caterall has many court records from Maryland.  But in a fast
skimming of all his records from Maryland in the 17th century (about
20 pages), I did not see "Sambo".

Joel