/w/-/hw/ again

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 28 22:09:26 UTC 2007

A blues verse:

I moang git me a blade
One thet I kin affode
Too lawng t' be ey knife
Too shawt t' be ey swode

The pronunciation of the /w/ is "standard" in BE. I personally use
[sword], simply because I want to. I'd also like to use "igh" as the
spelling for "I" just because it better resembles, e.g. German _ich_
in comparative-linguistic lists of correspondences. But it'd prbably
just make people think that I was weird. :-)

-Wilson

On Dec 28, 2007 2:24 PM, Dennis R. Preston <preston at msu.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: /w/-/hw/ again
>
> But lots of C = /k/ + w before [o].
>
> A gob of [sword] pronouncers out there by the way.
>
> >---------------------- Information from the mail
> >header -----------------------
> >Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> >Poster:       Barbara Need <nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU>
> >Subject:      Re: /w/-/hw/ again
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >Probably not. [Cw] generally > [C] / __ [o] (possibly [+round], but I
> >don't have my references handy to confirm this).
> >
> >So in addition to the whole and whore offered by Charles Doyle, we
> >have <sword> pronounced [sord].
> >
> >Barbara
> >
> >On 28 Dec 2007, at 12:52, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
> >
> >>  Yes; but not my sense of "ever"; I meant is there
> >>  any attested modern survival of a /hw/ in "who"
> >>  (as there obviosuly are in my own mouth for what,
> >>  where, why,metc..., but not who.)
> >>
> >>  dInIs

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens