Wal-Marts, singular

Joseph Salmons jsalmons at WISC.EDU
Sat Dec 29 13:57:01 UTC 2007

The surprising thing about this discussion, at least sitting here in
snowy Madison, Wisconsin, is that nobody has mentioned this as a basic
characteristic of restaurant names. We held the 17th International
Conference on Historical Linguistics here in 2005 and the restaurant
guide included this note, suggested by a couple of folks who earned
PhDs here:

Restaurant names are regularly marked in this region by addition of an
-s suffix. Almost any of the names below can be produced with a final s.

In various discussions about this, I think it's always been reckoned
as genitive, as Wilson suggests, and it's downright unusual to hear
anything that sounds like a possible personal name, and stuff probably
beyond, without the -s (examples from State St. by campus):

Porta Bella > Porta Bella's (which was around when Dennis studied
here, I think)
Casa de Lara > Casa de Lara's
Himal Chuli > Himal Chuli's
Buraka > Buraka's
Kabul > Kabul's
El Dorado > El Dorado's (not on State St., though)

You don't hear it on some names ending in familiar (non-proper) nouns,
and I have heard some speakers declare things like these ungrammatical:

Sun Porch, *Sun Porch's
White Horse, *White Horse's

Joe