"Blawg"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Dec 31 01:16:28 UTC 2007

If you can help me understand "Open-o or /a/" -- are there sample
words whose pronunciation everyone would agree on? -- then I can tell
you.  (I am an antedater, not a phonetophile.)

I grew up in The Bronx, but I too didn't know what a Throg is.  But I
pronounce it (as best as my uneducated ear can can tell me) generally
like "frog" and "Bronx", and unlike "Boston" (and "dog").

Wikipedia tells me: 'The current name comes from John Throckmorton,
an Englishman the Dutch allowed to settle in the area in 1642. The
settlement was eventually driven out by an uprising of Native
Americans. In 1668, the peninsula appeared on maps as "Frockes Neck".
In 1776, George Washington wrote of a "Frogs Neck".'  No citations,
but via Google Books I find a passage from John Winthrop's "The
History of New England from 1630 to 1649" (ed. Savage, 1853), Vol II:
"It was a few miles east of Throg's neck, so called from John
Throckmorton, mentioned in Vol. I. 42, ...".

Joel