"Blawg"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 31 02:37:40 UTC 2007

Dawgee! [dOu 'gi] I keep on forgettin' [f at gETIn] that my
East-Texas-BE-based proppa Ang-lish idn the same as any, ah,
"standard" variants, jes' 'cause I distanguish "cot" from "caught."
*All*    -og words fall together with [Ou] ah eva [O], depending upon
what register I be using, irrigodliss of whin I loint 'em. It idn no
difference between the -og of "dog" words and the -og of "smog" words.

*Now* I understand your point, David.

-Wilson

On Dec 30, 2007 9:18 AM, David Bowie <db.list at pmpkn.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       David Bowie <db.list at PMPKN.NET>
> Subject:      Re: "Blawg"
>
> From:    Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>
> > How will "dawg"-sayin' folk distinguish "blawg" from "blog" in speech?
> > By contex', I reckon.
>
> Actually, my cot-caught-distinguishin' self pronounces blog with an
> open-o, probably out of analogy with log, which has an open-o for me.
>
> (Hence my weakly-joked wonderment at why it was spelled blawg, not blog
> in my earlier post. I realized right after i sent it that that was a
> pretty opaque comment.)
>
> --
> David Bowie                               University of Central Florida
>      Jeanne's Two Laws of Chocolate: If there is no chocolate in the
>      house, there is too little; some must be purchased. If there is
>      chocolate in the house, there is too much; it must be consumed.

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens