Melanenglish?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Dec 31 05:23:44 UTC 2007

Wikipedika [article "Tanna (island)")] is supportive.  An island of
Vanuatu, populated almost entirely by Melanesians; in some villages
modern inventions are restricted and "the inhabitants wear penis
sheaths" [the women too?!]; and it is "the centre of the Jon Frum
cargo cult, which worships an American World War II soldier as their
god."  [I looked up Tanna because I wondered whether it was part of
New Guinea.]

But why did things like "two hundred" and "last night" get adopted
from English?  Hardly American military slang, and concepts that
"traditionals" (Wikipedia's term) would seem to need as much as Westerners.

Joel