Orange, forest, etc.

Mon Dec 31 06:22:51 UTC 2007

Someone mentioned orange, forest, and all those historical short o + r
+ V cases.  Does anyone know what exactly the pattern is for this
group in the Northeast?  I have the CAUGHT vowel here, but I suspect
it's not really native to me, though those are the usual forms in
Morristown, New Jersey (which has the CAUGHT vowel for natives) where
I went to high school.  My NYC-born parents had /A/ = COT here, as
does my NYC-born older sister, and I think that I probably did when I
was a real little kid in Monroe, New York where I was born.  I always
thought that the open o forms were Midland intruders, like fronted /
o/ or fronted /u/  or [aeu] in OUT, which are fairly common in
Northwest and North Central New Jersey, but not so much in Orange
County (with COT, by natives), N ew York.  Is there change going on
here?

Paul Johnston