“Lady in the parlor, cook in the kitchen, whore in the bedroom” (Jerry )

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 2 17:38:27 UTC 2007

It's interesting that both Jerry Hall and Diane Ladd (from Texas and
Mississippi, respectively) have used this line. It's not in the Yale Book of
Quotations. I'm looking for the earliest use of the line (in any form) and the
earliest Jerry Hall quote of it.
_http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/maid_in_the_living_room_cook_
in_the_kitchen_whore_in_the_bedroom_jerry_hall/_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/texas/entry/maid_in_the_living_room_cook_in_the_kitchen_whore_in_the_b
edroom_jerry_hall/)

“Maid in the living room, cook in the kitchen, whore in the  bedroom” (Jerry
Hall)

Jerry Hall was married to Mick Jagger (of the Rolling Stones) and is,
perhaps, the most famous Texas model. She came a long way from the woman who  once
worked at a Dairy Queen in Mesquite, Texas.

Hall said she had this  advice on keeping a man like Mick: “My mother said it
was simple to keep a man;  you must be a maid in the living room, a cook in
the kitchen and a whore in the  bedroom.” Hall then added her personal touch to
that advice.

_Wikipedia: Jerry Hall_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Hall)
Jerry Faye Hall (born July 2, 1956 in Gonzales, Texas) is an English
American supermodel and actress known for being Mick Jagger’s long-time  companion
and possibly wife (in 1990, the two were married in Bali but the legal  validity
of the marriage has since been questioned). Hall began a secret affair  with
Jagger while still engaged to Bryan Ferry.

Hall has written her  autobiography, entitled Jerry Hall’s Tall Tales,
published in 1985. In this  book, she describes her early life in Mesquite, Texas.
She also relates her  experiences as a young model living in Paris.

In 1989, she appeared in  director Tim Burton’s Batman, in a supporting role
as Alicia Hunt, a gangster’s  moll who is disfigured by the Joker.

In 1990 she joined many other  guests for Roger Waters’ massive performance
of The Wall in Berlin. She also  starred in commercials for Bovril.

Her marriage to Jagger was annulled  in 1999. They have four children
together: Elizabeth, James, Georgia, and  Gabriel.

_Google  Books_
(http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN1573240389&id=u3BFMzcLmusC&pg=PA83&lpg=PA83&ots=T4FEMg1Jp9&dq=maid+"whore+in+the+bedroom"&ie=ISO-8859
-1&sig=kYWCQ__HhUWN-CXM8KPHRQ25zqQ)
Wild Word from Wild Women
by Autumn Stephens
York  Beach, ME: Conari Press
1996
Pg. 83:
My mother said it was simple to  keep a man; you must be a maid in the living
room, a cook in the kitchen and a  whore in the bedroom. I said I’d hire the
other two and take care of the bedroom  bit.
--JERRY HALL, former Texan model and vice versa, sharing her strategy  for
encouraging mate Mick Jagger to spend some quality time at home.
3 December 1959, Long Beach (CA) Press-Telegram, Molly Mayfield  column, pg.
B7, col. 3:
A man wants a woman that is a lady in the parlor, a  good cook in the
kitchen, an economist when she goes shopping and a wench in the  bedroom.

27 November 1990, Elyria (Ohio) Chronicle-Telegram,  “Stones’ Mick Jagger
finally ties the knot,” pg. A3, col. 3:
Jagger and  Hall, 34, a model and former Dairy Queen employee in Mesquite,
Texas, have been  together for 12 years. She has often said her mother taught
her three secrets to  keeping a man happy. “Be a maid in the living room, a cook
in the kitchen—and a  whore in the bedroom. And I figure so long as I have a
maid and a cook, I’ll do  the rest myself.”

26 February 1993, Chicago Daily Herald,  “Actress Diane Ladd: Don’t call her
a Southern belle” by Dana Kennedy, sec. 6,  pg. 12, col. 1:
NEW YORK—At 50, actress Diane Ladd still has the honeyed  drawl of her
Southern girlhood. But she’s worked hard to overcome her roots.

“Southern women are supposed to be the greatest wives—next to the  Japanese,
we were raised to be slaves,” says Ladd during a break in a whirlwind  trip
to Manhattan to promote her new film, “The Cemetery Club.”

Ladd  swivels around in her chair and pauses dramatically for emphasis.

“They’ve got to be the best cook in the kitchen, a lady in the parlor  and a
whore in the bedroom. I believe that totally. I’ve come a long way.”

Posted by Barry Popik
_Texas_ (http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/category/C78/)   •
(0) _Comments_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/comments/maid_in_the_living_room_cook_in_the_kitchen_whore_in_the_bedroom_jerry_hall/)   •