Loan proverbs

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Feb 7 21:50:34 UTC 2007

The problem is not the discovery of phrases or even sentences in Latin and other languages, but the determination of whether they can properly be called PROVERBIAL in English-speaking contexts.

A proverb would be used, orally (let's say), in a definable "folk group" the members of which would understand the saying as traditional and might on occasion themselves say it--not as a quotation, though, or a learned allusion (such expressions would be called aphorisms or sententiae). It's hard to be very precise here. A group of scholars could certainly constitute a folk group; still, not every Latin sentence they might utter would be proverbial.

I'd say "Carpe diem" is a good candidate--especially since the movie _Dead Poets Society_ taught the saying to a wider public.

(Then we have that bothersome and ill-defined category "catch phrase"!)

--Charlie