"Take Me to Your Leader"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 8 19:01:28 UTC 2007

See Yale Book of Quotations, page 320, for apparent source of this
expression in a 1953 New Yorker cartoon ("Kindly take us to your
President!").  The exact phrase "Take us to your leader!" appears in
Washington Post and Times Herald, July 14, 1955, page 43, in Walter
Winchell's column (I am coming to believe that Walter Winchell was a major
but uncredited originator of important quotations).

In a non-science-fiction context, "now take us to your leader" (American
soldier to Resistance fighters) appears in the Scorchy Smith comic strip as
found in The Evening Tribune (Albert Lea, Minnesota), 23 March 1944, page 14.

I would welcome any improvements on the above evidence.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
   Access and Lecturer in Legal Research     Yale University Press
Yale Law School                             ISBN 0300107986