"Fanny" in US English

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Feb 10 05:59:10 UTC 2007

At 6:21 AM -0800 2/9/07, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Probably illusion. Plenty of repsectable women were still being
>named or nicknamed "Fanny" long after Fanny Hill.
>
>   Keats's friend, Fanny Brawne, comes immediately to mind.

Right, but the same could be said for such names as "Peter Allcock"
with which Victorian umliterature was replete, or "Dick" in current
usage.  I'm not alleging a strong enough connection to prompt taboo
avoidance, just enough to raise a knowing eyebrow under the
appropriate conditions.  If there's no evidence that Fanny had the
same sort of double-entendu distribution in the 18th century that
Peter and Dick do now, I'll concede the point, but the lack of taboo
avoidance effects isn't sufficient in itself.

LH