OT: Attempting to save a high-school French program

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Feb 10 18:50:23 UTC 2007

(This is my fourth attempt to send this message). ---

    I've been notified of the plans of a school district in another state to eliminate the French program in favor of Spanish.  The French teacher will address the school board next week and reportedly has a list of reasons to save the program.  A friend of hers has asked me if I could possibly provide any thoughts of my own, and I present a draft of my response below my signoff.

      Would anyone have any good arguments of the sort that might carry weight with a school board? You may respond off-list, if you wish.  Any input would be gratefully received.

Gerald Cohen
gcohen at umr.edu

[Draft # 1 of response]:

    Both languages are important.  French is one of the main languages of Europe and is (or at least should be) a requirement for anyone planning any sort of a career in international studies.  Of course, Spanish should be taught.  But to remove French as an option for students interested in some day visiting France, working with the French comercially, or gaining a better understanding of French culture is to deprive them of a very basic academic discipline.

     It's a bit like saying a school district should cut all its science courses in favor of mathematics.  Of course mathematics is important, but so too is science--both for the educational development of students and for the welfare of our country as a whole.  So, for students interested in Spanish, it's wonderful that Spanish is being taught.  Students interested in French--and again, we're talking about one of the main languages in international communication--should have the same opportunity.

                                                                   # # #