Good looking out

Mon Feb 12 05:12:48 UTC 2007

Tim Warner of the blog Mother Tongue Annoyances posted a query about
the expression "Good looking out," much favored by "American Idol"
judge Randy Jackson as an all-purpose valediction to departing
contestants (also apparently used in a similar style by Tim Westwood,
host of the UK version of MTV's "Pimp My Ride") :

http://www.mtannoyances.com/?p=672

Tim wonders about the origin and etymology of the expression, which
tended to mean "Thanks for helping me out" (i.e., "Thanks for looking
out for me") before taking on the generalized valedictory usage of
Jackson et al. One blogger labels the newer, blander sense a "flagrant
misuse":

http://murderation.com/blog/2006/02/good-lookin-out-dog.html

Tim found some indirect evidence of the expression's use since the
'70s. I commented that saxophonist Stanley Turrentine recorded a song
called "Good Lookin' Out" in April 1966, so it might  already have
been common in jazz circles by then.

Anyone have additional insight? Wilson?

--Ben Zimme