"Take Me to Your Leader"

Mon Feb 12 16:37:49 UTC 2007

Gerald wrote

This is from hazy recollection, but I thought the expression arose from
Martians who (supposedly) landed on earth.
<<<

Very definitely agree, except that I remember it as extraterrestrials, not
specifically Martians.

In this connection I remember hearing a joke from ca. 1958:  A space
ship from Mars landed on earth, and the first person the space-travelers
met was Brigitte Bardot.  The Martian told her: "Take me to your leader
[slight pause]later."

<<<

I remember a similar joke but probably from somewhat later, early or mid
60s. The alien is very small, and the line is "Take me to your ladder, I'll
see your leader later!"

I'll post this question to rec.arts.sf.written.

m a m