"The sun has riz, the sun has set, and here we is in Texas yet" (1933)

Wed Feb 14 18:52:43 UTC 2007

Larry asks:

Besides the obvious virtue of its elegance, this
line (in the positive versions) has the very nice
use of "yet" for 'still', which I assume derives
from German influence in Texas, as it does in
Wisconsin.  Any thoughts?

  <<<<<

Why postulate foreign influence?

        O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
        O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
                (By a fellow alumnus)

-- Mark A. Mandel, St. John's College (Annapolis) 1969
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]