"The sun has riz, the sun has set, and here we is in Texas yet" (1933)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Feb 14 19:18:46 UTC 2007

The sentence-terminal "yet" in "Here we is in Texas yet" seems significantly different (more "German"/less "English") than "yet" in the verb phrase of "Does that star-spangled banner yet wave . . . ?"  And, of course, different from "yet" in "Are we out of Texas yet?"

My brain is too tired to postulate reasons WHY!

--Charlie