hoo-ha as euphemism

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Wed Feb 14 21:20:02 UTC 2007

I can report that I remember hearing my sister-in-law, in 1963, refer to a
vagina as a "hootee." [accent on first syllable.  I don't know how it was
spelled, of course.] She would have been about 16 at the time.  She was born
and raised in Richmond, VA. as was her mother.  And I would be sure that her
mother taught her the word.  That was the first time I can remember hearing
and use of "hoo-" in relation to a vagina.  I don't think I heard the "hoo
ha" until rather more recently, last 20 years, and since I've lived in
Akron, OH.

Sam Clements