Antedating of "Been There, Done That"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Feb 15 16:29:26 UTC 2007

As I'm sure Fred had discovered, Google Books gives a 1979 citation that's entirely bogus.

This one is more interesting, if only because it shows how a collocation can occur but only later become proverbial (or such is probably the case here):

"Gwen sat down next to Harry. 'It sounds too fascinating. Have you been there and done that?' / 'Oh no. I read of it in the _Times_, that's all I do.'" From a story by Leonard Sidney Woolf in _The Wise Virgins_ (1914; p. 22 in the 1979 Harcourt edition).

--Charlie