Harvard Lampoon & Google Books project

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Feb 17 04:23:40 UTC 2007

1902! So Google can't show the whole page because of copyright protection?
Google can't show the whole page because we're all going to go out and buy the
1902 Harvard Lampoon? Why is Google Books doing this?
ANTEDATING OF "BEEN THERE, DONE THAT"
It had been done:

_http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/59900.html_
(http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/59900.html)

Been there, done that
Meaning
To have experienced the topic under discussion and become  bored with it.
Origin
This originated in the early 1980s. It is generally  regarded as an American
expression. This item from the New York newspaper the  Syracuse
Herald-American, February 1982, which is the earliest version  in print that I can find,
puts that in some doubt. It's in a piece by Jerry  Buck, writing out of Los
Angeles, about actress Lauren Tewes:
"Miss Tewes, who has just got divorced, says she  doesn't plan to get married
at this time. Using an Australian expression, she  says, 'Been there, done
that.'