Blipster (black hipster)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 18 23:32:48 UTC 2007

"My stars alive!" as my grandfather would  have said. "Blipster"?! To
think that, for the past sixty years or so, I've been under the
mistaken assumption that "black" is an integral, necessary, and
*defining* member of the set, {hipster}. What will these
Urban-Dictionnary types come up with next? "Bligger"?

One never knows, do one?

-Wilson

On 2/18/07, Bapopik at aol.com <Bapopik at aol.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Bapopik at AOL.COM
> Subject:      Blipster (black hipster)
>
> "Blipster" has received popularity from a January 28, 2007 article in the  N=
> Y=20
> Times. A lot of people don't like it, and it'll probably go away.
> ...=20
> _http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/blipster/_=20
> (http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/blipster/)=20
> =20
> Blipster
> =20
> "Blipster=E2=80=9D =3D black + hipster. The term received popularity in the=20=
> January 28,=20
>  2007 New York Times article =E2=80=9CTruly Indie Fans=E2=80=9D by Jamie Pre=
> ssler. The  term=20
> =E2=80=9Cblipster=E2=80=9D is recorded from July 2006. Some people like the=20=
> "blipster," but =20
> others think it=E2=80=99s unnecessary.=20
>

> _Urban  Dictionary_ (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=3Dblipst=
> er)=20
> =20
> blipster=20
> a person who is black and also can be  stereotyped by appearance, musical=20
> taste, and/or social scene as a hipster. =20
> That (black) person, wearing asics tigers, black-rimmed glasses, and  dancin=
> g=20
> to the new be your own pet song is a =E2=80=9Cblipster.=E2=80=9D=20
> Famous  Blipster: the singer from Bloc Party.=20
> by i love blipsters philadelphia Aug  11, 2006=20
>
> _Gothamist.com_=20
> (http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2007/01/29/blipster_really.php#comments)=20=
>  =20
> January 29, 2007=20
> Blipster? Really?=20
> Right on the tail of the  groundbreaking =E2=80=9Cbloggers drink in the LES=
> =E2=80=9D article=20
> in The Observer, The New York  Times will not be outdone! Their article,=20
> Truly Indie Fans, is about black  people listening to rock music, and it has=
> =20
> caused quite a stir, with good  reason. The article uses the term =E2=80=9Cb=
> lipsters=E2=80=9D to=20
> describe black indie rock fans,  as if another form of the already overused=20
> word =E2=80=9Chipster=E2=80=9D needs to exist -  nevermind one based on race=
> . The blog Colonel K=20
> Speaks has written an emotional  response to the piece.=20
>
> He states, =E2=80=9CThis week=E2=80=99s NY Times Magazine  published an arti=
> cle called =E2=80=9C
> Truly Indie Fans,=E2=80=9D in which author Jessica Pressler  investigates th=
> e lives and=20
> experiences of black rock fans, or as she dubs them,  =E2=80=9Cblipsters.=
> =E2=80=9D While she is=20
> optimistic about bands with Black members, such as  Bloc Party and TV On The=
> [...]

-----
-Sam'l Clemens