re left, left, left my wife etc.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 19 05:21:12 UTC 2007

Supposedly used at Fort Hood, Texas, in the 'Fifties:

Sergeant:
To your left, your right
Your left, your right
Your left, your right
Your left

Soldiers:
Our packs are heavy
Our belts are tight
Our balls are swinging from
Left to right

Sergeant
Left
Left, etc.

As for "hay foot, straw foot," when I was at the Army Language School
in 1960, the story was told WRT the training of peasants drafted into
the Red Army. In fact, we were even shown a documentary of Red Army
recruits actually undergoing such training. I'd heard the phrase some
years earlier, but I didn't have a context for it until I'd heard the
Red Army story.

BTW, wasn't there an old pop song entitled "Goofus" that had a
somewhat similar line or verse in it?

-Wilson

On 2/18/07, Rowyn McDonald <rowynm at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Rowyn McDonald <rowynm at STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: re left, left, left my wife etc.
>
> Is the 3-beat blank you're missing "gingerbread"?
>
> I know it as:
>
> "Left, left, left, right, left
> Left my wife and forty-eight children
> Alone in the kitchen with nothing but gingerbread
> left, left, right, left."
>
> -Rowyn McDonald
>
> sagehen wrote:

-----