BURR-Y is not 'non-standard' (was Eggcorn?)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Feb 19 13:16:47 UTC 2007

It should be mentioned that vowels before /r/, historically, have been flexible. The spelling "murie" for "merry" was very prevalent through the 14th century (alternating with "myrie" and "mirie"). About the time of the GVS (though not necessarily because of it!), the spelling "merry" gained prominence and eventually predominated. Now we have the famous "merry"/"Mary"/"marry" paradigm; ARE there speakers who might add "Murray" to the mix??

"Ber(r)y" for "burrow" surivived into the 17th century. Do those who make the "bury"/"berry" distinction do so for the stress-reduced syllables in "Canterbury" vs. "loganberry"?

--Charlie