Team Fill-in-the-Blank

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Feb 21 02:43:29 UTC 2007

NY Times, 17 June 1976, p.48:
"Harry Neale, who coaches the New England Whalers of the World Hockey
Association, has been named assistant coach of Team USA, this country's
entry in September's Canada Cup hockey tournament."

I've found earlier uses of "team Ferrari" used to refer to a car driven by
another member of the same team, but not as a name for the team:

NY Times, 7 Aug 1961, p. 30:
"Richie Ginther, eighth today in the third team Ferrari, has 16 [points].

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Alice Faber
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 4:56 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Team Fill-in-the-Blank

(originally sent just to Leslie; *why* does this alone of all lists I
subscribe to not set Reply-To to the list???)

Leslie Savan wrote:
>        Does anyone have an idea of when or how this construction began to
really catch on?: "Team Obama," "Team Macintosh," "Team Get er Done" on
MySpace, "Team Guido" (not the Guido team or the Guidoes) on The Amazing
Race. "Team Toyota" is a 1996 book, but surely Team X goes much further
back.
>        It undoubtedly got a big boost from businesses trying to stoke as
much team spirit as sports teams: "Meet Team Target--Targeting Your Real
Estate Needs." But who initiated the switch from the X team to Team X: the
businesses? Sports commentators, sports teams themselves? (I know nothing
about sports, so this may be obvious to all but me). And/or is there a
Superhero connection?
>        Any ideas from Team ADS are much appreciated.

This is the normal way of referring to Olympic teams. So, the Olympic
hockey finals might be between Team USA and Team Canada. This locution
also is used in other international tournaments.

==
Alice Faber
faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203)
865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203)
865-8963