Help Needed Please

Brenda Lester alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 23 00:49:08 UTC 2007

Knowledge.
  drats.
  My fingers are frozen.

  be well,
  brenda
  Upstate NY

Brenda Lester <alphatwin2002 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
  Knowlege is power, people.

Tom Zurinskas wrote:
No offense taken Jamie. You're in a forum where plenty of offense is given.

I just saw Boston Legal, where a lawyer said that lawyering is a dirty
business and he's a good lawyer. Then he berated his opponent, a friend, as
one with a psychological problems and not worth to oppose him, sending his
friend back into regression just to get an edge in the case.

Using big words shows certain intelligence and certainly is a power tactic.
I see it in this forum all the time. And if you ask a question around here,
some folks that otherwise could answer it feel smugly superior in telling
you where to look it up, interesting one-upmanship.

Of interest is that there is a movement against "legaleze" and for
simplified text in government documents. It's amazing how complex phrases
can be simply expressed.

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

>From: Jamie Landers
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: Help Needed Please
>Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:16:00 -0500

>-----------------------
>Sender: American Dialect Society
>Poster: Jamie Landers
>Subject: Re: Help Needed Please
>
>John,
>
>I apologize if I offended you in any way. Maybe I did not explain myself
>very clearly. The project that I am undertaking is not only partial to
>attorneys, but my professor suggested that we focus on one profession and
>she believed that Law would be one profession that would have an abundant
>amount of information.
>
>Brenda Lester said this about my project:
>"Legal terms become somewhat of an elitist barrier, not because of how much
>money the attorney makes, but because he or she can define certain terms,
>can speak a special language, and make the language work for the client."
>
>This sums up what my group is trying to accomplish; however, spoken more
>eloquently. I apologize again if you feel that my group was trying to
>degrade those who study law. We understand that Lawyers, along with many
>other social groups, use jargon; however, my professor recommended that we
>narrow our project down to one profession and she suggested the field of
>law
>saying that she was sure that it would have lots of information.
>
>I appreciate your time to respond to my email and I apologize for any
>misinterpretations.
>
>Jamie
>
>On 2/21/07, Baker, John wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender: American Dialect Society < ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster: "Baker, John" < JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
> > Subject: Re: Help Needed Please

> > I question the premises of your project. First, it's far from
> > clear to me, as a lawyer, that I have an elevated status in society.
> > The case could as well be made that lawyers as a group are particularly
> > disdained. I certainly don't know of any other profession that is the
> > brunt of so many jokes. To the extent that individual lawyers have
> > status, it's arguably from their education and income, rather than
> > because they are lawyers.
> >
> > Second, if there is an unequal power relationship (and there
> > is), it favors the client (which is what I assume you mean by "Patron"),
> > and not the lawyer. I've worked all night many times for clients, but I
> > can't think of a single client who has ever done that for me. The power
> > relationship may favor the lawyer on some occasions, such as pro bono
> > representation of criminal defendants or contingency fee representation
> > of individual tort plaintiffs. These power relationships have nothing
> > to do with how the lawyer talks and a great deal to do with the lawyer's
> > fees.
> >
> > Third, it's contrary to my experience that lawyers use jargon to
> [...]

Don’t miss your chance to WIN 10 hours of private jet travel from Microsoft®

Be a PS3 game guru.

 Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.