The return of the mononym

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 23 05:05:15 UTC 2007

It's actually Greek "dis" and Latin "bis," both meaning, and related
to, English "twice, two times," The combining forms are "di-" and
"bi-," respectively. Cf. "twi-" in English "twin." The Attic Greek
word for "name" is "onyma." Cf. "[syn]onym." In, e.g., Homeric Greek,
the word is "onoma," in which "o[nom]a" more clearly shows the
relationship to Latin "[nom]en." And both of these words are likewise
related to English "[nam]e."

-Wilson

On 2/22/07, barbara hawkins <lumeria99 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       barbara hawkins <lumeria99 at YAHOO.COM>
> Subject:      Re: The return of the mononym
>
> "bi" & "dio": They both mean two (2), right? Latin and Greek. "bi"  denotes ability to move either way whereas "dio" just means double .... ???
>
>   cheers,
>   barbara hawkins
>
> Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

-----
-Sam'l Clemens