"The Horse You Rode In On"

Scot LaFaive spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 24 17:58:16 UTC 2007

I did a search of Google Books and Google for antedates but couldn't find
any. I did find two interesting notes on the phrase. For one, it seems that
the phrase "fuck/screw you and the horse you rode in on" is often clipped to
"and the horse you rode in on," allowing for it to be used in proper
company. I also found this variation: "Fuck your self-sufficiency and the
horse you rode in on." I found it interesting because I'm not sure I've
heard heard or seen it without the object of "fuck" being a person, and
especially not an abstract noun.

Scot

>From: Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: "The Horse You Rode In On"
>Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 08:31:47 -0500

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM>
>Subject:      Re: "The Horse You Rode In On"
>
>On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 08:10:16AM -0500, Fred Shapiro wrote:
> > A friend has asked me about the background of the phrase "Fuck you and
>the
> > horse you rode in on."  Can anyone shed any light on this, citational or
> > speculative?
>
>The earliest example in HDAS/The F-Word is from G. V. Higgins'
>_The Friends of Eddie Coyle,_ there dated 1970-71 but first
>published in 1972. I haven't recently done any sort of
>checking on this but would welcome antedatings.
>
>Jesse Sheidlower
>OED

Find what you need at prices you’ll love. Compare products and save at MSN®
Shopping.
http://shopping.msn.com/default/shp/?ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24102&tcode=T001MSN20A0701