twitch athlete

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Sat Feb 24 18:16:42 UTC 2007

Video gamers often use 'twitch' to describe games that require fast reflexes and precise timing such as the first person shooters that Fatality 1 makes a living playing.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society on behalf of RonButters at AOL.COM
Sent: Sat 2/24/2007 11:45 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      twitch athlete

In the issue of 2-12-07, TIME refers to a prominent video-games professional
(who calls himself "Fala1ty Kiaeneto" [with a "1" where one normally would
write "i") as a "twich athlete." This term is not familiar to me, and a Google
check indicates that it is most often used in combination with "fast" (or,
occsionally, "slow"), but I didn't find it used by itself.

Anyone know about the age of this term, its etymology, and the evolution of
its meaning?

 AOL now offers free email to
everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol.com.