It takes more than a language to unify a nation

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 24 19:39:11 UTC 2007

I can't find the quote, but a 19th century historian marveled that a person
could go coast to coast in USA speaking one language, English, and being
understood.  I assume a common language is the strongest unifying force
between people that there is.  It may take more, but it at least takes that
(and driving on the same side of the road ;-).

See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.

>From: Judith Marie <Judith_H_Marie at COMPUSERVE.COM>
>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>Subject: Re: It takes more than a language to unify a nation
>Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:27:59 -0500

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Judith Marie <Judith_H_Marie at COMPUSERVE.COM>
>Subject:      Re: It takes more than a language to unify a nation
>
>Hi all,
>When I voted in November in Berkeley, California, I first had to choose
>which language I wished to use. The choice was between Chinese, Korean,
>Spanish, English or Tagalog [sic].
>It seems to me not unreasonable that since only U.S. citizens vote, and
>that one has to pass an English language test to become a citizen, the
>ballet should be in English.
>Judith

Win a Zune™—make MSN® your homepage for your chance to win!
http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline