It takes more than a language to unify a nation

Bethany K. Dumas dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Sat Feb 24 20:20:34 UTC 2007

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007, Laurence Horn wrote:
> No, if you read carefully, Bethany, the objection had nothing to do
> with the multilingual availability of the *ballot* (although I'm not
> sure why Tagalog earns a [sic]; is there some reason why Filipinos
> are inherently less worthy of accommodation?).  It was to *ballet*,
> and presumably other art-forms, being performed in languages other
> English.  I'm sympathetic to the apprehension; some operas I've seen
> were hard enough to understand in English.

Damn! When WILL I learn to read?

But actually there is a health risk in monolingual operatic performances.
If I had not noticed, at La Boheme two weeks ago, that I could not read
the English text posted high above the stage with my left eye alone, I
would not have known to see my eyedoc this week and learn that that left
eye needs surgical attention!

LOL!

Thanks, Larry!

Bethany