Re: [ADS-L] It take s more than a language to unify a nation

Sat Feb 24 21:04:43 UTC 2007

In a message dated 2/24/07 3:32:47 PM, gcohen at UMR.EDU writes:

>      No system is perfect, but the vision of the U.S. as a melting pot
> worked well for our grandparents and greatgrandparents, and it might not be so
> bad for the present either.

Well, I dunno. The melting pot worked will enough for those who wanted to
exploit foreign workers. And it certainly worked EVENTUALLY for my family, but
not forf the first tow generatrions: my grandparents were born in IOWA and grew
up speaking Swedish and left school in the third grade. It wasn't until my
mother's generation that anyone had the linguistic and economic resources to
finish high school--much less vote.

Of course, I don't suppose that things would have been any better for my
grandparents if they had had ballots printed in Swedish--they were illiterate in
that language, too.

But I'd feel a lot more comfortable about the arguments of the English-only
folks if they supported truly massive English teaching projects for non-English
speakers. By belief and understanding, as the lawyers say, what free adult
English-teaching classes are offered to the foreign-born are always way
oversubscribed, even given the fact that all the hard-working gardeners and maids and
plasterers who do not know very much English must go to classes after long
days of heavy hard work.

I wish every person who contributes a dollar to the English-only movement
would also contribute to their local Hispanic Centere for English-language
teaching.

 AOL now offers free email to
everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at http://www.aol.com.