It takes more than a language to unify a nation

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sat Feb 24 22:20:00 UTC 2007

All the more reason to have localities decide what's most appropriate for
them. (And ballots, even for federal offices, are produced by county
governments.) The local government is in the best position to decide the
extent provision of government services in other languages which will best
serve the populace, balancing benefit to non-English speakers against cost.

A nationwide law prohibiting government services in languages other than
English is just as absurd as one requiring government services be provided
in X language. Chinese language services in San Francisco make sense; they
(probably) don't in Cheyenne or Des Moines.

There is all this talk about melting pots and unity, but where is the
evidence that linguistic diversity is actually causing widespread problems?
Every statistic I have seen supports the opposite conclusion. This country
is overwhelmingly English-speaking and, given time, all immigrants (or their
children) become English speakers and the native languages fade. The
"problem" is that English is killing other languages in the United States,
not vice versa. Why are we trying to "fix" a non-existent problem that
serves only politicians engaged in demagoguery?

(Although, for the record, I'm fully in favor of the National Endowment for
the Humanities promulgating binding regulations on non-English ballets. If
English was good enough for Giselle, it is good enough for me.)