It takes more than a language to unify a nation

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Sun Feb 25 16:25:27 UTC 2007

You're making the assumption that anyone who speaks a language other than
English had to be naturalised as a citizen.  There are born-citizens in the
US for whom English is not their first language, and the right to vote is
their birthright.

Lynne

--On 24 February 2007 11:27 -0500 Judith Marie
<Judith_H_Marie at COMPUSERVE.COM> wrote:

> Hi all,
> When I voted in November in Berkeley, California, I first had to choose
> which language I wished to use. The choice was between Chinese, Korean,
> Spanish, English or Tagalog [sic].
> It seems to me not unreasonable that since only U.S. citizens vote, and
> that one has to pass an English language test to become a citizen, the
> ballet should be in English.
> Judith

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer and Head of Department