"special" = (of occurrences, gestures, etc.) emotionally or sentimentally moving; tenderly affecting.

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sun Feb 25 18:56:26 UTC 2007

Many of us, I expect, first became aware of this usage, buried beneath several layers of irony, in the voice of Saturday-Night-Live's Church Lady: "Well, isn't that special!"

--Charlie