It takes more than a language to unify a nation

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Mon Feb 26 02:38:39 UTC 2007

>If I buy a consumer device, I have to find the English section of the
>owner's manual, and when I'm looking up something, I've got to flip past
>the Spanish and French pages to find what I want.

This has nothing to do with immigration; this is a consequence of global
trade. Manufacturers make their products to sell in any number of countries,
and the manuals reflect this fact.

And most of the issues listed here would not be affected one whit by
English-only laws, which affect only the government. Merchants and business
people will continue to do business in whatever language maximizes their
profits. If someone is uncomfortable with this, they'll just have to learn
to live with it because it ain't gonna change.