It takes more than a language to unify a nation

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 26 17:42:58 UTC 2007

Joel S. Berson wrote:
> At 2/26/2007 10:40 AM, Alice Faber wrote:
>
>> It's not just that. 25-ish years ago, when I lived in Florida, the
>> dominant Hispanic group was Cuban refugees.
>

> That reminds me -- do the right wing English-only radicals realize
> that if they alienate the conservative, Replublican-voting,
> Spanish-speaking Cuban refugees, they may lose Florida in the 2008
> election?

That I don't know. Given that the 60s-ish immigrant Cubans who didn't
want to put down roots in Florida so it would be easy for them to go
home once Castro was ousted are, through aging, no longer politically
dominant, I'd imagine, I have no idea. A lot of stuff has happened since
I lived in Florida, and I no longer have any intuitions about the
political landscape.

Alice Faber
faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203)
865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203)
865-8963